Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Give it a Rest!

I feel GOOD!  I just took 4 days off work and it was sheer bliss.

Self-employed people need this reminder: Take a day off!

I know it's difficult.  We do not get paid for days off  like our employed counter parts.  Also unlike folks with W2s, we usually work part of our "days off" making it more important for us to take a break!  If you are a business owner, you know what I mean.  Days off often become catch up days for bookkeeping, cleaning, inventory, re-organizing, phone calls and all the other loose ends that don't quite get done on days I see clients.

Then, of course, there is the fact that business ebbs and flows.  Right in the weeks before my days off, I got super busy!  I have enough people on my waiting list to fill a couple of days with paid appointments.  It was tempting to think of the money I could earn and go ahead and book those days.  Luckily I recognized my cluttered mind trying to tell me that I am not worth the time off and I ignored the impulse to relinquish my vacation days.

The paycheck from an extra twenty clients could not purchase what that down-time bought me!  I spent 2 days catching up on stuff for both my business and personal life.  I finished my 1st quarter books, cleaned my fish tanks, filled my pantry, ran errands, paid bills, had an acupuncture treatment and a chiropractic adjustment.  I have two days off each week and that's basically what they look like with trips to the dog park thrown in for good measure.

Then I did nothing for two days.  We had planned to go to the beach or possibly see a movie, but what I did ultimately was nothing.  I stayed in bed late.  I walked in the sunshine.  I played with my dog, started a good book, played a video game and
re-watched season one of Game of Thrones.  Nothing thrilling or earth-shattering, but completely therapeutic and valuable beyond measure.

I returned to work on Monday refreshed and revitalized and eager to serve my clients.  I was physically rested and mentally recharged in a way I have not been since I took days off at Christmas.

So take a day off!  You deserve it and so do the people you love.

Whether you are self-employed or not, don't think of days off in terms of "lost" pay.  Think of days off in terms of benefits gained!  If you focus only on the financial, then something in your life or your business will be out of balance.

Reduce your work load by one day a month.  See for yourself how increasing your fun and relaxation can simultaneously increase your productivity, revenues and the joy-factor of your life.

Life is good and just gets better.


~ Cyndi 
Practicing Happiness Daily

You deserve to feel amazing and healthy and relaxed and happy and vibrant every day of your life.



3 comments:

  1. Cyndi,
    Good for you for not allowing your cluttered mind try to convince you that it's your boss!
    Clearly, you, the boss, have fired it & it just tries to sneak back in every now & then.

    Probably just misses you!! LOL

    Thanks for the reminder that we need to prioritize R & R. High five to that!


    Blessings & Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get very few days off but when I do I often feel guilty for doing nothing. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the day with a good book, video, walk in the park or just nothing next time I have the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing nothing is one of the great pleasures of life! Do NOT feel guilty for enjoying it!

      Delete