Monday, March 26, 2012

What is Your Self-Talk Saying?


What thoughts are you thinking?

I spent a lot of years listening to my cluttered mind tell me things like: You aren't good enough.  You aren't smart enough.  Your opinion does not matter.  Why did you do THAT?  That was a stupid move.  If people know the real you, they won't like you.  You should-have and could-have done that differently!  On and on ad nauseum.

My negative thought patterns were ruining my life, so I started learning how to change them little by little.  Now I am pretty good at catching negative self-talk like the above examples and shutting it down before it can attract more negative thoughts.  The more and more positive thoughts I practice, the more positive thoughts flow into my life!

Now, however, I am beginning to notice different types of negative self-talk.  If we take a broader interpretation of self-talk to mean "inner dialogue" and not just "talk about self," many other forms of negativity come to mind.

Traffic is a wonderful opportunity to identify negative self-talk.   Think of all the negative thoughts you vibrate in traffic!  I trash-talk while driving like you cannot believe.  I think (and shout aloud in the privacy of my own car) the meanest things about other people and their mothers!

What are you feeling when you are in traffic?  Stress?  Anxiety?  Anger?  Fear of being late?  Resentment at being stuck in traffic?  If you commute 2-3 hours a day, that is a LOT of time to hold a negative vibration.

My trash-talk isn't helping me get anywhere faster and it's certainly not clearing the traffic up, but it is leaving me feeling stressed and tired after driving.  All those little bursts of negative energy leave me feeling emotionally drained.
Maureen Raytis L.Ac. shares a beautiful example in Feng Shui Your Mind ~ Four Easy Steps to Rapidly Transform Your Life:
I became aware that it was my habit to race around from point A to point B, even if I was on time. 
That's when I started to take notice of all the little unconscious stressors of the day - such as hurrying around - that clouded my energy space.  These stressors were just old habits.  Every time I noticed my tendency to hurry, I would stop and start breathing deeply.  Sometimes I felt like, although these breaths were forced, they helped me to slow down which changed my life.  Now I feel like I have enough time for everything.  I'm sure that you can imagine how this perception - that there is enough time - changed the quality of my energy and my life.  And it allows me to have clear energy when I need it.  Rarely do I feel overwhelmed anymore. (FSYM - page 67)
Rarely do I feel overwhelmed anymore. 

I remember the first time I read that last sentence.  An ocean-wave of relief washed over me!  I was at a pont in my life where I felt overwhelmed MOST OF THE TIME!  Learning to release these innocuous stressors soothed my spirit in a really big way.

What vibration emanates from your inner-dialogue?  Are negative thinking patterns draining your energy supply?

Changing habitual thought patterns takes vigilance and practice, but I'm worth it!

So are you.



~ Cyndi 
Practicing Happiness Daily

You deserve to feel amazing and healthy and relaxed and happy and vibrant every day of your life.

1 comment:

  1. Sister,

    I had not thought about that before the driving and negativity. I do know that I have learned to try and relax in the car and make it my time. I listen to the CD you made Johnny over and over, because those songs make me happy and seem to release my tension. Maybe my brain is trying to calm itself? Great post thank you!
    Me

    ReplyDelete